Translate

smoke

Two monks from different towns sat on top of a hill, the view was spectacular. 

One monk said to the other, “This would be a lovely place to meditate.” The other monk replied, “Oh yes, I was thinking the same thing, only I wish I had my pipe as well.” “I too would love my pipe right now, but is it wise to smoke and meditate at the same time?” the other replied. 

After some discussion, they were unable to find an answer. So they decided that they would each inquire their masters on the subject and then meet back on the hill the following day. The next day they met on the same hill, overlooking the same beautiful view. 

“I see that you have brought your pipe with you.” The first monk said to the other. “And I see that you didn’t bring yours.” They each exchanged a puzzled look. The monk without his pipe said, “I asked my master, ‘Can I smoke while I meditate?’, to which he replied, a rather offended, 'Never!’ What did your master say?” 

The other monk held his pipe and with faint remorse said, “My master answered that it was fine, except I asked him, 'Can I meditate while I smoke?'."